The Executive Office of Education has several new data warehouse initiatives underway and has a need for a Senior Business Analyst to assist in the implementations. The candidate will work with the current Cognos reports, document requirements for its migration to Power BI and in some cases, re-envision the visualizations to facilitate analysis of a school’s performance at multiple levels. This analyst will work with the Education Data Warehouse (EDW) team including the Senior Business Analyst and the Developers to ensure accuracy and efficiency in the performance of the converted reports. The individual should be analytically oriented and be able to work as part of a small team.
We are seeking a talented Data Warehouse Analyst to lead the effort to document requirements, understand data and workflows, and assist agency staff in designing effective dashboards and reports to visualize the data. The successful candidate will work closely with Project Managers, Business Analysts and Technical Leads, as well as agency leads, project leads to drive project planning and execution of complex enterprise software development projects within set project targets and deadlines.
Hours not to exceed 1800 hours. A regular 37.5 hours work 10 days required holiday. Initially the role will be remote until EOE-IT can return to the Malden office location.
- Create specifications for developers by performing detailed requirements analysis
- Review existing reports to understand their purpose
- Analyze enhancement requests to determine scope of effort and impact
- Extract existing report SQL from Cognos BI tool and assess performance
- Determine best course of action for providing data for Power BI and fine tune the SQL to meet the requirement
- Participate in technical design sessions
- Maintain documentation on report conversion process
- Review and test changes to verify results are correct
- Assist with reviewing the accuracy and comprehensiveness of all converted reports
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend practical solutions to attain desired results
- Understanding of data warehouse concepts and needs
- Expert/Knowledge of databases, particularly Oracle Exadata and exposure to other database technologies
- Experience using database reporting and/or query tools, specifically IBM Cognos
- Experience with dimensional modeling and experience implementing proper data structures for analytical reporting from an enterprise data warehouse
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly in both technical and user-friendly language, both in writing and orally
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws (FERPA)
- Strong organizational skills
- Team player who enjoys being part of a supportive team, with a willingness to learn and share knowledge among team members.
- Demonstrated discipline, self-reliance, dependability, and good judgment.
- Strong capabilities in analyzing data
- Experience gathering accurate requirements from multiple user groups
- Knowledge of education industry technology standards, and trends particularly, Common Education Data Standards (CEDS)
- Understanding of dimensional data modeling
- Familiarity with Microsoft’s Power BI
- Experiencing using Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) to analyze a loading process
- Experience with IBM Rational Team Concert, ServiceNow and Microsoft Teams