The Red Hat Linux/Virtualization Engineer will support the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Infrastructure Services Division’s (ISD) Operating Systems Administration and Engineering Section (OSAES). The Senior Linux/Virtualization Engineer is a technical leadership role responsible for evaluation, recommendation, design, implementation, and ongoing support of the computer infrastructure services and to ensure high availability, redundancy, recoverability, and capacity. The Senior Linux/ Virtualization Engineer is expected to maintain, and develop in depth knowledge in multiple technical areas to include:
· Operating systems (RHEL).
· Clustering Technologies.
· Virtualization (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization).
· Automation – Foreman, Puppet and Ansible
· Private and public clouds (Open Stack and Open Shift).
· Storage (NAS, SAN, NFS, CIFS, GPFS).
· Red Hat Identity Manager
· Red Hat Cloud Forms Management Engine
· Red Hat Satellite 5.x and 6.x
· Cisco UCS
The position will also work closely with the other groups in the Infrastructure Services Division to include- networking, data center, storage, security and architecture teams. This is a full-time position and the work location will be at or near the USPTO headquarters in Alexandria, VA supporting the Server and Storage Services Branch, OS Administration and Engineering Section.
· Will assist with providing administration, troubleshooting, configuration, installation, deployment, maintenance, upgrades, and high availability design projects.
· Provide direction and day to day support for the systems infrastructure (Cisco UCS / RHEV Managers).
· Provide direction and day to day support for the virtualization infrastructure (RHEV/KVM, and Docker).
· Provide direction and support for private and public cloud environments (OpenStack and Openshift).
· Provide high-availability operational support and automate solutions across the infrastructure.
· Ensure that all supported environments are monitored to provide alerts when there are problems, including performance (Nagios/GroundWorks and CheckMK).
· Ensure that all supported infrastructure environments are fully documented, including procedures for their use and management.
· Participate in the design, planning, and implementation of new projects / technologies and ensuring that the solutions are highly available and performing.
· Work with the OS Administration and Engineering Section to develop and document standards and procedures.
· Work with the OS Administration and Engineering Section and application development groups to ensure that they have the resources required to support the application environments.
· Be responsible for overseeing major projects for critical and highly visible projects supporting key functional groups across all of USPTO.
· Project level support will require working across multiple functional groups within the OCIO organization and with OCIO customers.
· Provide day-to-day Tier 3 level operational support including responding to incidents, troubleshooting, and executing corrective action.
· Assisting Tier 2 support with after action reports such as Root Cause Analysis Reports, to include researching potential incident/problem mitigation and preventive measures and assisting with putting those measures in place.
· Ensure effective security, operation and peak performance of UNIX/Linux server and virtualization management environments.
· Assist with hardware maintenance and lifecycle planning.
· Development of customer support processes, technical planning, and work coordination
· When necessary, interact with software vendors to reach problem resolution; may include opening a service call, providing logs, and responding to advice received by phone call or email.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
· 5-7 Years of Red Hat Linux Engineer/Administrator experience supporting a medium to large user base (3,000-10,000 users).
· Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x and 7.x.
· Red Hat Network Satellite Server 5.x and 6.x.
· Working knowledge of networking protocols and components including TCP/IP, DNS, NFS.
· Experience designing and implementing High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions.
· Experience with automated system builds and configuration management tools including Red Hat Satellite Server, Foreman, and Puppet.
· Technically fluent in the design and use of multiple Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Managers in a distributed environment.
· Outstanding communications and organization skills.
· Ability and desire to work both independently and with a team.
· Must have hands-on experience performing tuning of clusters.
· Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (bash, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Preferred Education, Years of Experience Requirements and Certifications:
· Bachelor's Degree or 10 years of equivalent work experience in IT related work.
· Red Hat Enterprise Linux Certification
Monday through Friday during core business hours of 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Actual work hours could vary depending on customer needs.